Labels

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Bird upcycled stationery box

I started with a box that steaks came in.
I cut off the tabs and cut a piece of cardboard to fit across the bottom of the box to form a tray.
I glued the cardboard in place using tacky glue. The tacky glue did not work very well, but it was good enough. Next I got out different colors of resume paper and tore them into strips. Using a half glue and half water mixture I glued the strips to the box. The paper helped to hold the cardboard in place.
After the glue dried I painted a blue back ground with watercolors. on top of the box. Using a toothbrush I dipped in green paint I sprayed paint on the top and sides of the box I painted a bird on a branch on the top of the box.
Next I took some pink scrapbook and ripped out the corners and glued them to the corners of the box. I ripped the paper on the bird a little bit, and painted a light brown wash over the bird and background using watercolor pencils. Using watercolor pencils I painted the edges of the scrapbook paper red.
I outlined the flowers with magic markers and glued glitter on the flowers. I painted more red on the edges of the scape book paper, and outlined the inside with black ink.
I thought the edge was too smooth, so I took a wet sponge to the edge and ripped and tore it until it looked a lot more ragged. Using pastels I drew in more trees, sky and fixed up the bird a little bit. I used pastels because I think it is a good contrast to the paper. I filled in more dots on the paper.


I covered the entire box with a sealant. I put more glitter on the flowers, than I used mod podge puzzle saver on only the paper to give it a glossy finish.
I made a pull from some red velvet ribbon I think mom had left over from the 60's. I attached it to the inside of the lid using my glue gun.
It is  hard to tell from the pictures, but the bird part of the box is nice and chalky and the paper is shiny with glitter. I wanted it to look like the flower paper ripped away to show an older painted bird underneath.
All in all I am happy with the results.


No comments:

Post a Comment